Published: Wed, August 01, 2018
Global | By Enrique Rogers

US sends home Korean War remains handed over by North Korea

US sends home Korean War remains handed over by North Korea

North Korea handed over just one dog tag and no other information about the 55 boxes of remains it gave to U.S. officials last week, a report said Tuesday. The officials say the evidence shows that North Korea is working on at least one liquid-fueled long-range ICBM at the plant that made the country's first missile capable of reaching the US.

Addressing upcoming meetings in southeast Asia, US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert confirmed that North Korea's Kim Jong-un had already committed to full denuclearization during his June summit with President Trump.

Other officials and analysts said North Korea's continued work on missile technology was unsurprising as Kim made no firm promises to Mr Trump during their meeting.

A C-17 containing remains of fallen service members departed Wonsan, North Korea, on Thursday Hawaii time headed to South Korea and accompanied by United Nations Command Korea officials and technical experts from the accounting agency to preliminarily examine the remains.

"Keep in mind that it's not necessarily the case that" the person identified in the dog tag will be among the remains but they're hopeful, he said.

North Korea may want to use the remains' return to keep diplomacy with the United States alive and win a reciprocal USA concession. Gen. Kim Do Gyun, said the two sides had a common view in principle on disarming a jointly controlled area at Panmunjom, removing some guard posts from the Demilitarized Zone that bisects the countries, halting hostile acts along their disputed sea boundary, and conducting joint searches for soldiers missing from the 1950-53 Korean War in DMZ areas.

"The Remains of American Servicemen will soon be leaving North Korea and heading to the United States!" The Post says "the new intelligence does not suggest an expansion of North Korea's capabilities but shows that work on advanced weapons is continuing".

About 7,700 US soldiers are listed as missing from the 1950-53 Korean War and about 5,300 of the remains are believed to still be in North Korea.

Trump threatens government shutdown over immigration policy
Trump began his policy of "zero tolerance" in the spring, prosecuting all migrants caught entering the US without authorization. When the Trump administration tried to make that claim in federal court, in their motion to overturn Flores , U.S.

A USA official on Wednesday said there is no reason to believe the 55 boxes of human remains returned by North Korea are not American.

"I don't have any announcement today but it's natural to get a lot of business done. but we are not there for any announcements", the official said. North Korea has nearly certainly not sent back anything close to 200 bodies.

"For the warrior, this is a cherished duty, a commitment made to one another before going into battle and passed on from one generation of warriors to the next", said U.S. General Vincent Brooks, top commander of U.S. and United Nations forces in South Korea.

The North demonstrated sharp progress in its program previous year when it test-fired numerous missiles and conducted its sixth and most powerful nuclear test.

Kim Jong-un agreed to "denuclearise" North Korea. No threats or missile tests have occurred since Trump and Kim met in June.

During his Senate testimony on July 25, Pompeo said that factories in North Korea "continue to produce fissile material". It had been used to assemble space launch vehicles and develop and test liquid-fuel rocket engines.

Between 1990 and 2005 229 sets of remains from the North were repatriated, but those operations were suspended when ties worsened over Pyongyang's banned nuclear weapons programme.

Like this: