Published: Tue, January 23, 2018
Global | By Enrique Rogers

Saudi coalition set to provide $1.5bn in humanitarian aid for Yemen

Saudi coalition set to provide $1.5bn in humanitarian aid for Yemen

He said that over the last three years, the Kingdom has supported Yemen and its people with an amount of over $10.4 billion in terms of humanitarian and development assistance as well as support to Yemeni refugees, Central Bank of Yemen and bilateral assistance.

The United Nations on Sunday made what it described as a record appeal for aid to Yemen, calling for almost $3 billion in humanitarian relief for the war-torn country. "$1.5 billion in new humanitarian aid funding for distribution across United Nations agencies and global relief organizations", the coalition announced in the statement.

Al Jazeera reported that the coalition has rejected the war crime allegations.

The coalition also said it would also "increase the capacities of Yemeni ports to receive humanitarian" imports, as it faces mounting criticism for imposing a crippling blockade on the country.

Saudi Arabia is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar aid package for Yemen, which it says will "alleviate the suffering" by opening land, sea and air routes into the war-torn country.

The announcement came after Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud made a decision to transfer $2 billion to the Central Bank of Yemen last week, in an attempt to stabilise the collapsing Yemeni currency.

The $2.96-billion will be used to respond to an ever-broadening crisis in Yemen, where war, looming starvation and cholera have killed thousands and put millions of lives at risk.

May, Macron reach agreement on border, but not on Brexit
However, he has also warned that the United Kingdom can not "cherry-pick" rules for access to the single market. Media captionBridge designer Ian Firth and engineering expert Dave Parker on whether a bridge is feasible.

Easing came in December, following a United Nations declaration that Yemen-where over 22 million require aid- is home to "the largest humanitarian crisis in the world".

According to the World Health Organization's latest count, the cholera outbreak has killed 2,167 people since the end of April and is suspected to have infected more than one million people.

The majority of the new Canadian funding - $6.5-million (Canadian) - will go to the World Food Programme (WFP) to provide emergency food supplies, such as flour, salt and sugar, to the most needy people across Yemen.

The war has taken a huge toll on the country with more than 60,000 people killed and wounded by fighting, and millions of Yemenis at risk of starvation amid a massive cholera outbreak.

The United Nations has estimated 8.4 million people in Yemen were on the threshold of starvation.

In 2017, donors provided US$1.65 billion (70.5 per cent) out of US$2.34 billion that humanitarian partners in Yemen requested.

Like this: